What’s next for Dorset Councils?
February 27, 2018
What’s next for Dorset councils?
- Councillors drawn from all nine authorities are already serving on two Joint Committees set up to prepare for the transformation
- Two new ‘shadow authorities’ are to be formed comprising all existing councillors, forming the legal basis for the new councils. The current councils will choose members of the shadow ‘executive committees’
- Now the plan is Government policy, legislation will be required in Parliament to give it force in law
- Many further details need to be determined related to ‘disaggregation’ or ending the distinction between county-level and district-level services, as well as bringing council tax to the same level across the new borough areas
- A Boundary Commission review will look at the new ward boundaries – The new councils are planned to come into force in April next year, with elections in May.